Chaga mushrooms are a type of medicinal mushroom known as the Siberian Gift to the Gods! How ‘bout THAT for intriguing??
They grow on trees and are extremely hard and rigid as compared to most types of mushrooms. They are consumed by being ground into a powder and can then be made into a delicious beverage.
Why Chaga Mushrooms are Amazing
We all know mushrooms are a superfood but these are like mushrooms on steroids! They are a very dense source of minerals including calcium, iron, manganese. They are also great for detox as they support the kidneys and liver.
A mid-afternoon chaga tea or hot chocolate can give you a boost in energy while supporting the adrenal glands and HPA axis because of the high mineral content.
As if those weren’t enough benefits to want to try this magical mushroom (no, not THAT kind of magical mushroom), they also support digestion and are a rich source of pantothenic acid, riboflavin, and niacin. Chaga mushrooms have been used in ancient cultures for 100s of years and people who consume chaga mushrooms on a regular basis are said to live 85-100 years old.
Since ground up mushroom powder does not sound that appetizing, please believe us that it is actually quite delicious when made into this hot chocolate because the chaga powder has somewhat of a caramel flavor!
Think Starbucks Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate! (A hippy nutritious version, obviously.)
Chaga Hot Chocolate for Optimizing Inflammation:
- 2 Tbsp chaga powder
- 2 Tbsp cacao powder
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil (or to taste)
- 1 tsp up to 1 Tbsp raw manuka honey (or to taste)
- ¼-1/3 cup of full-fat coconut milk
- ½ inch knob of fresh ginger
- 1 Tbsp collagen powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon (to taste)
- ½-1 tsp nutmeg (to taste)
- Sprinkle of pink sea salt
- Add chaga powder and cacao powder to the bottom of mug.
- Fill mug ¾ full with hot water.
- Melt coconut oil into hot water.
- Add honey and stir together.
- Put coconut milk, ginger, collagen powder, cinnamon, nutmeg into a blender (we have a Vitamix) that can handle hot beverages (not all of them can, be aware of exploding hot drinks!!).
- Pour the liquid that you have mixed together in your mug into the blender. Blend on high until well blended and frothy.
- Pour into your mug and top with a sprinkle of pink sea salt if desired.
Optimizing inflammation is best done in the Release and Rise phases of the menstrual cycle.