It’s not a particularly popular subject but the fact of the matter is that vaginal yeast and bacterial infections are incredibly common in women. And exceedingly unpleasant when it happens. Luckily, there are both over-the-counter conventional products and homemade version that can help…obviously, here we’re most interested in the latter! Three ingredients and minimal hands on time is all this recipe requires and you’re on your way to relief!
Like this post? Want to share the article? Pin it to your favorite Pinterest boards!
Note: I strongly recommend not self-treating unless you’ve seen a doctor and know exactly what is going on. There are many disease states that mimic more benign vaginal infections and it is incredibly dangerous to have something go undiagnosed. To be honest, this recommendation goes for anything in medicine…as does the recommendation that homemade treatments can sometimes only take you so far before conventional treatments are considered.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 5 drops tea tree oil
- 5 drops lavender essential oil
1. Place melted coconut oil into a small jar. You can melt you coconut oil by 1) microwaving it for about 20 seconds, 2) melting it using a double broiler, or 3) submerging the jar of coconut oil in hot water until it melts.
2. Add the tea tree oil and lavender essential oil drops into your melted coconut oil and mix well.
3. Pour your mixture into your suppository molds. As far as molds go, you have 2 options (see both below in the picture). You can either use the applicator that is provided with over-the-counter yeast treatments (handy but definitely the more expensive option…unless you already have some on hand) or you can make a makeshift trough for the suppository out of foil.
4. Place the molds into the freezer for several minutes before using.
You can store the finished suppositories in the fridge or freezer but you’ll want to leave them at room temperature before using so that they aren’t too cold. You can insert them once or twice a day (doing it at night is easiest because you’re horizontal for a while) and definitely make sure to use a pantry-liner because it can make a mess!