Why tongue scraping can be a really helpful detoxifying tool. I’ve also shared my favorite recipe for tooth whitening recipe before which turned out to be a pretty big hit.
This new recipe is my attempt for combining my desire to whiten my teeth AND help support my body’s natural detoxification pathways. Seems like a pretty sweet deal, right? I think so!
And after a few weeks of consistent use, I can definitely say I’m enjoying the combined benefits…the tea stains I seem to accrue over time are reversed and my mouth feels super clean all the time.
Let’s get to it!
- 2 tablespoons bentonite clay
- 3/4 tablespoon baking soda
- 10 capsules activated charcoal, broken open
- 1/2 teaspoon xxylitol
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon and/or ground peppermint leaves
- Combine all the ingredients into a small container and mix well. (In this picture, I have it in a plastic tupperware because I was planning on traveling but I’ve seen then transferred the mixture into a small glass container with a lid.)
- Wet your toothbrush and dip it into the whitening and detoxifying tooth powder. I’d say I get about a pea-sized amount on my toothbrush every time.
- Brush with the powder like you normally brush, focusing on the areas you want to whiten but making sure you get it everywhere so it can do its detoxifying magic. Do this for about 1 minute.
- Without rinsing, add toothpaste to your toothbrush and brush with that plus the tooth powder you already have in your mouth. Brush for as long as you normally brush.
- Spit out everything at the same time and rinse your mouth out as you normally do. Don’t worry, it won’t leave your teeth a funky color!
I always follow up this sequence with tongue scraping since I figure that anything that was released through the detoxification process, I want out of my mouth as completely as possible. Plus, I love how the combination of all these things leaves my mouth feeling really clean and refreshed!