I had a version of this recipe when I was on vacation in Mexico with my family and I thought it was absolutely delicious! It’s a primal recipe that takes a little work upfront but you make it in stages so it’s perfectly easy to make a big batch and reheat the plantains/bananas. I bet you could make it paleo by swapping out the heavy whipping cream with full-fat coconut milk but I haven’t tried that yet myself.
Like this post? Share it with your friends and family on Pinterest!
- 4 plantains or 2 plantains plus 4 bananas (this makes it a sweeter dessert like recipe).
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/3-1/2 cup pastured heavy whipping cream
- 1-2 tablespoons grade B maple syrup
You can save the coconut oil used in this recipe and then reuse it again to make the next batch. You can use it up to 5 times (!) from what I understand…I just add a tablespoon or two of fresh coconut oil each time to account for what the bananas have soaked up. As you end the rotation for that coconut oil batch, you can retire it using this recipe: paleo crockpot bananas.
1. Cut up the plantains and bananas, if using.
2. Melt the coconut oil in a pan over medium heat.
3. Place the plantains/bananas in the heated up coconut oil and fry for 4-5 minutes per side or until they’re golden brown.
4. Remove from the pan and drain on a paper towel covered plate (optional, I didn’t care about draining them of the fat so I just threw them on a plate).
So there you have your plantains/ bananas ready. Reheat in a toaster oven a portion at a time whenever you’re ready to eat them.
5. Place your heavy whipping cream and maple syrup in a mixing bowl and mix on high with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. It’ll take about 5 minutes or so.
6. Stick the whipped cream mixture in the freezer for a few minutes to firm up. This step is optional. It’ll hold up longer when put over hot plantains but I was too impatient half the time to wait that long.
7. Spoon whipped cream over the hot plantains/bananas and try not to shovel it all in your mouth too terribly fast.