Yoga mats are intended to be a sanctuary of calm and restoration. Or sometimes they’re just supposed to be a great place to get your sweat on. And they usually are! But unfortunately, they also often kind of end up being a sanctuary for bacteria and grime. Or, alternatively, a place to spray with noxious cleaning solutions before standing on it with your bare feet. Not sounding pretty? I agree! Which is why I’m surprised it took me years to switch to an all natural cleaning spray for my beloved yoga mats. But since I have, I can say with absolute confidence that I’m never going back. The key was to find a solution that gets the mat clean enough without wearing it down.
Bonus note: this spray can actually be used as a multi-purpose cleaning solution! I’ve used it in the kitchen, in the bathroom, and on surfaces that get touched often, such as door knobs, keyboards, and railings.
Like this post? Want to share the article? Pin it to your favorite Pinterest boards!
- 2 1/4 cups distilled water (or water that has been boiled and then cooled)
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 10 drops lemongrass essential oil
- 15 drops tea tree oil
1. Combine the water, vinegar, lemongrass essential oil, and tea tree oil into a glass spray bottle. (It’s best not to keep essential oils in a plastic container but quite honestly, I’m pretty sure it’s not going to kill you if you absolutely don’t have a glass bottle on hand.)
2. Shake really well before you use.
3. Spray onto your flat yoga mat and wipe thoroughly with a towel.
For every day use, I just mist the spray onto the yoga mat and then wipe off with a towel. But occasionally I’ll really clean the mat by liberally spraying the mat with this cleaning solution, scrubbing it down, and then hanging it out to dry for about 30 minutes.